Working at The Vue Weekly is not just a job, it’s an experience. The Vue Weekly prides itself in being different from the rest, and working here is no exception. We are a place where we want our employees to grow, feel inspired and use their strongest assets to propel their everyday work.
See below to see what positions are currently available.
We want you! To be our next:
Online Editor/ Staff Writer!
Vue Weekly is seeking a full-time online editor/staff writer to join our team.
We want someone who knows and loves the city of Edmonton, but isn’t afraid to challenge the status quo. We want a journalist capable of generating and carrying out compelling ideas in a wide variety of articles, from long-form magazine-style pieces to short, 200-word bursts, both in print and online. You’ll be writing for every section of Vue, so you have to be flexible enough to write news, arts, music and dish. Photography skills would be an asset as well.
We need a person who understands how to work a website to make it the place Edmontonians turn to for their alt news and music, movie, film and food reviews. You’ll be responsible for writing/organizing exclusive website content, as well as uploading and formatting the newspaper’s content onto the web. We need someone who knows social media, too, to give our Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Tumblr a snappy presence.
We’re looking for someone who works well under pressure, has a passion for the alt-weekly format and can work with the editor to stay true to Vue Weekly’s progressive approach. If that sounds like you, please apply. We offer a competitive salary with benefits.
Interested candidates should send their resume, cover letter, and best clips to Eden Munro at email@example.com by Wednesday, September 3.
We want you! To be our next:
Postvue Publishing Limited Partnership is an Edmonton based publishing company that produces multiple print and digital products. Our focus is to create and produce very strong editorial products that are of interest to Edmontonians and Albertans, particularly young, artistic, urban professionals.
The products we produce include, but are not limited to:
The urban newspaper Vue Weekly and its online component vueweekly.com.
The local tourism products Hot Summer Guide and Road Trip
A comprehensive Fringe Festival Website, edmontonfringe.ca
The Edmonton Coffee Guide
The Edmonton and Calgary Wine Guides
Multiple contract publishing products
About this Career Opportunity:
Postvue Publishing is seeking a managing editor to continue to develop an editorial and creative vision that will enhance our position as the leading source of arts, culture, news and lifestyle content for Edmonton and Alberta.
- Responsible for the production of all editorial content (staff and freelance) for all the products in our portfolio, including contract publications.
- Maintain the highest possible standard of editorial quality within the objectives of the company.
- Assist in developing annual editorial plans for all Postvue Publishing products.
- Generate editorial outlines for specialty publications.
- Manage editorial budgets for all publications.
- Work with the production team to plan production schedules and meet deadlines.
- Work closely with sales and marketing teams to build integrated programs for a variety of clients.
- Work with the publisher to strengthen and develop brand initiatives
- Assist with the development of our digital strategy and social media presence, including website, Facebook, and Twitter accounts.
- Maintain a reasonably strong visual and social presence within the community at large, acting as an ambassador for Postvue Publishing.
- Maintain reasonable and professional contact with the greater business community in an effort to foster deeper and more lasting relationships.
- Maintain supportive relationships with Postvue Publishing’s contract publishing clients.
- This is a full time position with flexible work hours.
Qualifications and Requirements – The ideal candidate will:
- Have a minimum of three years’ experience in the publishing industry.
- Possess a BA and/or a journalism degree.
- Have excellent research, writing and editing skills.
- Must demonstrate the leadership skills required to manage an editorial department.
- Have a thorough understanding of the production process.
- Detail oriented and quality conscious.
- Possess a strong grasp of social trends and consumer behavior.
- Have excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Be active in a number of social media channels with Edmonton residents.
- Familiar with Adobe Suite Products, in particular with InDesign and Photoshop.
- Familiar with content management systems such as WordPress.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, and an excellent benefit package is offered.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates please forward your resume to:
(Please indicate the job title in the subject line).
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.